- Quotes must have originated on Dreamwidth. (Yes, things posted here and cross-posted elsewhere at the same time are ok.)
- Original quotes only - quoting quotes on Dreamwidth does not make for a metaquote.
- Context! You must credit the quotee by linking to what they said. Include the permanent link to the entry (or comment thread, if you're quoting a comment) in which the quote appears.
- If the quote comes from a non-public entry, you must ask for permission from the quotee before posting, and add "QWP" to the post so the admins know all is above board.
- Cuts are your friends! metaquotes is not intended to be safe-for-work, but please try to respect people browsing their Reading Page at work. Also, please keep quotes short. (How do I make a cut?)
- Don't quote yourself, or ask to be quoted. If someone else thinks you're funny, they'll do it. If they don't -- you're not.
- You've got 100 characters to set-up, comment on, or explain your quote if you must - that's how long the title of a post can be on DW.
- No flaming. The mods reserve the right to delete things that aren't funny. We can't promise this community will be a safe space, but we don't like people being nasty.
If you notice posts and comments which break these rules, alert a community admin so that the contribution can be deleted or mocked accordingly.